Exploring Arts with Phaedra
Exploring Arts is an art appreciation program that is interconnected with City Kids' World Cultures & Geography program. The program is created and run by one of City Kids' parents, Phaedra Siebert. For each unit of our World Cultures program, Phaedra leads City Kids on a corresponding field trip that provides a unique opportunity for the kids to learn about art from all over the world. The kids also have a chance to create their own art, inspired by what they learn on their trips. Phaedra's goals for our Exploring Arts trips are to:
- Provide tools for City Kids to access visual art across a wide range of eras, genres, media, and
- Help children interpret art as well as the visual culture that surrounds them.
- Promote critical thinking skills with complex, potentially unanswerable questions to discuss.
- Cultivate self-confidence and the ability to formulate and articulate ideas.
- Foster process-based thinking and making that will help our kids see all skills as acquirable through
Phaedra Siebert is an art historian with over twenty years experience. She has worked at the Peggy Guggenheim Collection in Venice as well as the Getty Museum in LA, the Metropolitan Museum of Art and the Cooper-Hewitt Museum in New York, the High Museum of Art in Atlanta, and as a volunteer with the department of French Paintings at the National Gallery of Art in Washington, D.C..
Covid-19 Update: Because many inside venues may be unsafe to visit (or even closed), we are currently working on an outdoor Exploring Arts program. All Participants will be required to wear masks and stay at least six feet apart.